THE CONTEMPORARY ART CENTRE OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA
The mission of the Contemporary Art Centre of South Australia (CACSA) is to promote, develop and support contemporary art practice and critical thinking through South Australian, national and international exhibitions, publications, debate and associated activities.
The Contemporary Art Centre Of South Australia
- is an energetic and vibrant art space which aims to show the best of contemporary Australian artists' work contextualising South Australian practitioners with national and international projects
- provides exhibition, curatorial, publishing and other opportunities for contemporary arts practitioners
- is committed to promoting new and innovative art practice that critically engages contemporary ideas and diverse areas of knowledge
- additionally targets youth and new audiences and encourages interdisciplinary processes
- has a core annual program titled Contemporary Visual Arts Projects SA (2006, 2007 etc) which aims to establish a contextual relevance for local practitioners, placing key interstate, local and international artists together according to conceptual and/or material links
- aims to provide well-resourced exhibition opportunities while encouraging the interpretation of contemporary art through its publishing activities.
The Contemporary Art Centre of South Australia was established as the Contemporary Art Society in 1942, resultant of a breakaway group from the Royal Society of Arts by young artists seeking greater opportunities for their work. The Contemporary Art Centre of South Australia, incorporated in 1986, has a significant history of contemporary visual arts activity and maintains strong links with the South Australian community through its membership. In the past decade and a half the Contemporary Art Centre of South Australia has developed into one of Australia's leading contemporary visual art spaces and publishers, one of two Adelaide members of the national Contemporary Art Organisations of Australia (CAOS).
- To be South Australia's premier contemporary visual arts organisation presenting commissioned mid-career and established artists projects in a museum-style construct (while continuing to assist young and emerging artists)
- To be South Australia's leading contemporary visual arts publisher through CONTEMPORARY VISUAL ART+CULTURE Broadsheet magazine, exhibition catalogues, anthologies and artists' monographs
- To raise the CACSA's industry profile and deliver a program that exemplifies and consolidates its name - the contemporary art centre of South Australia
14 Porter Street
Parkside SA 5063, Adelaide.
T: +61 (08) 8272 2682
F: +61 (08) 8373 4286
11am - 5pm Tuesday - Friday
1pm - 5pm Saturday - Sunday
Closed on Public Holidays